Monday, August 6, 2007

The Target

I have been on vacation off and on for the last month and have been thinking about the target that I want to give to my teachers. Now its back to reality, catching up on my favorite blogs, 45 posts to read right now. In reading Marcie's blog about teaching Web 2.0 I am reminded of two quotes...
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." ~A. Einstein
"How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time..." ~Author Unknown

And so I am starting small while dreaming big! I am reading about Twitter as an educational tool and all sorts of cool stuff but I know that most of my teachers need to start small so I am going to ask them to try to do two things relating to technology this year:
1. Create a web presence - we have a new web tool in the district; SchoolFusion which is easy to use and simply combines a web page with some basic online classroom features and,
2. Create a new way to learn difficult material through the use of technology (WebQuest, Wiki, etc.)

Of course these two things are not small ideas but will start discussions that may change classroom instruction, that is my hope anyway!

As Will Rogers said, "why not go out on a limb - that is where the fruit is."

1 comment:

Looksee Fishy Fish said...

It is hard to wrap your my around what is a fad and really shiny and what has the real deal to be a penetrating learning tool. I think a lot of it is creativity, teachers can do amazing things with lots of different tools. They just have to get out of their box. Here is a way to start, think about getting the teachers you know to be online frequently to create a twitter network. Make sure you are on it and along with the fun stuff about "What are you doing?", encourage thoughts about teaching and how they approach their jobs. I am amazed what I see on my twitter network!