Thursday, June 14, 2007

Before you can change it...

It occurred to me that before you can change a discussion, you first have to have one to change! Seems simple. In preparing for my upcoming presentations at NECC I have been going back to my research on change. One of my favorite writers on this subject is Margaret Wheatley. In her 2002 book entitled Turning to One Another, she talks about starting conversations. Specifically, "if we want to change the conversation, we have to change who's in the conversation" (Wheatley, 2002). In one of her most recent articles, she talks about large scale change happening as emergence and beginning with local actions.

Locally, next week Drexel's School of Education is holding their First Annual Leadership Conference entitled"Collaborative and Sustainable Leadership: From ONE of us to ALL of us." I believe it is places like this that local conversations, discussions and networks can start! I will be starting a conversation with two of my colleagues on system-oriented leadership at that conference. If you don't have anything to do on Saturday, June 23 at 2 pm, why don't you join our conversation!

1 comment:

Jen Moylan said...

I love your ideas about changing the discussion about technology and education. What a huge task we have ahead of ourselves as educators as we seek to prepare our students for an ever changing future...so quickly changing that we really don't have any idea what it will look like for them. Big changes in society, must mean big changes in education...but we're so slow to move for so many reasons.

I'm excited to hear about your presentations at NECC and about the conference overall. Hope you're enjoying your time in Georgia!

Jen:)