Friday, May 15, 2009

On Changing the Discussion

I named my blog for a reason...changing the discussion...I have believed for years that we need to be talking about teaching and learning and NOT technology. Today in my school district, we had our CFF Flip the Switch event. It was amazing, the students showcased great projects, big and small, the teachers shared the successes and challenges of the CFF program, the board members listened and watched and thought and the discussion changed....

The teachers actually said, with no prompting, no scripting, it's not about the technology, it's about our teaching. At the end of the panel I had to speak up and honestly got very choked up as I shared my thanks with them. Thanks for taking the risk and for showing me that if you have a vision, if you work hard with the right team and leaders to support that vision, if you put technology in their hands, and give them a tech support staff and sustain a coach, the discussion will change...

I came to education to make a difference, to be an advocate for technology for teachers, sometimes it is hard to see from where I sit now that I am making a difference, today our CFF teachers and CFF coach showed me that I do. Sometimes we have to stop what we are doing and take time to celebrate all that we have done. We all make a difference. I would not have been able to move things forward so quickly here without the support of my upper administration and my tech team. They say it takes a villiage to raise a child. I also think it takes a "village" to change the discussion. Thank to all of my mentors, colleagues, friends, supporters, challengers, my "village" for being a part of changing the discussion.

ps - Check out our MS on NBC 10!

1 comment:

Jim Gates said...

Very nice, Kristin. I heard good things about your FTS event, as well. Congratulations! You're moving in the right direction.